When Bob Became A Builder is the fifth Bob the Builder special and was produced by Chapman Entertainment and Hot Animation which is owned by HiT Entertainment.
While building a new parking lot, picnic area, and play area at The Beach, Bob and the machines tell Benny and Scrambler the story of how Bob and his dad Robert built the building yard in Bobsville, and how the machine crew we all know and love got together.
- The events from the flash backs of this special was later indirectly referenced in Dizzy In Charge despite the stop-motion series being non canon to the Ready, Steady, Build! spin-off.
- It is unknown how many years passed between the flash backs and Season 1. Although its possible several years past by as the series started in 1998 for the UK and 2001 for the US if you go by the release dates and put the flashbacks of this special in the late 1980's or early 1990's.
- In the US this was released the same day as Barney: Let's Go To The Beach and Thomas & Friends: Track Stars.
- Coincidentally both Bob and Wendy had longer hair when they were young.
- It's suggested that Bob's machines were built in the 1980's or early 1990's as Scoop is stated to have just came out of the factory.