" Er/Uh, yeah, I think so!"
— Lofty's Original Catchphrase
1980's or early 1990's
Lofty is a blue mobile crane. He tends to get scared, always thinking he can't do things that he can, and lacks confidence.
Lofty is timid, shy, and nervous. He is shown to have a rivalry with
Spud. He also tends to stutter. However, he is kindhearted and friendly. He is probably the strongest among the Can-Do Crew, since he is a crane. Lofty often forgets how strong he is. He never causes trouble, but does make some mistakes. He takes his work both seriously and relaxingly. Deep down inside, he has a strict feeling (as shown in a couple of episodes). Lofty was once afraid of heights, which he isn't anymore.
Lofty is painted royal blue and has a sky blue bumper-shaped mouth.
Lofty is closely based on an Liebherr LTM 1200-5.1 moblie crane.
- Season 1 Scoop Saves the Day ( debut), Bob Saves the Hedgehogs, Pilchard in a Pickle, Muck Gets Stuck, Wendy's Busy Day, Bob's Bugle, Buffalo Bob, Travis and Scoop's Race Day, Bob's Birthday, Naughty Spud, Scary Spud ( cameo) and Bob's Barnraising
- Season 2 Spud The Spanner, Wallpaper Wendy, Runaway Roley, Bob's Big Surprise, Dizzy's Statues, Lofty to the Rescue, Wendy's Big Match, Tea Set Travis, Dizzy's Birdwatch, Clocktower Bob, Pilchard Goes Fishing, Wendy's Tennis Court and Bob's White Christmas
- Season 3 Bob's Boots, Mucky Muck, Bob's Day Off, Magnetic Lofty, Roley's Tortoise, Special Delivery Spud, Pilchard's Breakfast, Scoop's In Charge, Scoop Has Some Fun, Dizzy's Crazy Paving, Spud and Squawk, Muck's Sleep-Over and Trailer Travis
- Season 4 Roley and the Rock Star, Scoop's Stegosaurus, Sneezing Scoop, Roley's Animal Rescue, Scarecrow Dizzy, One Shot Wendy, Spud Lends A Hand, Bob and the Bandstand, Farmer Pickles' Pigpen, Bob on the Run, Scruffty The Detective and Watercolor Wendy
- Season 5 Scruffty's Big Dig, Inspector Spud, Wendy's Surprise Party, Skateboard Spud, Muck's Monster, Spud the Dragon, Pilchard Steals the Show, Bob's Hide, Bob's Auntie, Bob and the Big Freeze, Clumsy Roley and Eskimo Bob
- Season 6 Bob's Pizza, Bob's Metal Detector, Mr. Beasley's DIY Diaster, Wendy's Removal Service, Lofty and the Rabbits, Lofty and the Giant Carrot, Bob's Egg and Spoon Race, Trix's Tiles, Mr. Sabatini's Smashing Day ( does not speak), Roley to the Rescue, Spud's Big Splash, Spud the Musketeer and Wendy's Magic Birthday
- Season 7 Mr. Beasley's New Friends, Spud the Pilot, Trix and the Otters ( cameo), Speedy Skip ( cameo), Mr. Ellis' Art Exhibition, Bob and the Goalie, Dizzy Goes Camping, Pilchard's Pets, Snowman Scoop, Lofty's Long Load, and Dizzy the Sheepdog
- Season 8 Bob the Photographer ( cameo), Mr. Bentley's Trains, Wendy's Big Night Out ( cameo), Mr. Beasley's Noisy Pipes, Lofty's Jungle Fun, Ballroom Bob, Molly's Fashion Show, Spud and the Doves, First Aid Molly, Mr. Bentley: Dog Sitter, Travis Gets Lucky and Scruffty On Guard
- Season 9 Bob the Farmer, Mr. Bentley's Winter Fair, Lofty the Artist, Spud's Statue, Pilchard and the Field Mice, Trix's Pumpkin Pie, Where's Muck?, Travis' Busy Day, Muck's Surprise, Skip's Big Idea, Roley's Important Job, Trix and the Bug and Scoop the Disco Digger
- Season 10 Bob's Fresh Start, Lofty's Shelter, Dizzy and the Talkie Talkie, Scoop's Recruit, Where's Robert?, Wendy's Welcome, Roley's New Friend, Two Scoops, Benny's Back!, Spud's Straw Surprise, Off-Road Scrambler, Meet Marjorie, Muck's Mud Hut and Wendy's Party Plan
- Season 11 Benny's Important Job, Put-It-Together Spud, Roley's Round-Up, Dizzy the Detective, Two-Jobs Travis, Scrambler and the Colorful Cave, Spud's Bumper Harvest, Muck's Convoy, Bob's Three Jobs and Scoop Knows It All
- Season 12 Lofty the Star, Sumsy's Willow Tree, Slow Down Scrambler!, Scoop the Teacher, Sir Muck, Spud's Cork Tree, Bob's Top Team, Sumsy and the Beast ( cameo), Listen with Scrambler, Roley's Bird's Eye View, Wendy's Houseboat, Mr. Bentley's Assistant and Roley's Moleys
- Season 13 Benny's Jungle Trouble
Season 14 - Season 15 The House That Lofty Built, Bob's Big Idea, Roley Brings the House Down, Muck's Machine Wash, Lofty's Comet, Lofty the Lifeguard, Go, Mr. Bentley, Go, Star Struck Spud, Tumbler and the Skate Park, Packer's Trailer Trouble, Scoop's Best Team Ever, Fantastic Flex, Tumbler's Perfect Promenade, Spud and the Hotel and Clean As A Whistle Bristle
- Season 16 Radio Bob, Tumbler and the Ice Rink, Spud the DJ, Silent Scoop, Scrambler Gets Prepared, Sumsy's Special Building, Lofty's Banana Tree, Super Splasher, Breezy Bristle, Splasher's Two Stops and An Inspector Calls
Main Series - Scratch's Hidden Treasures, Scrambler's Best Idea, Scoop the Artist, High Tide For Lofty, Roley's Rovers, Start from Scratch, Night Time Scratch, Lofty and the Monster, Lofty's Helpful Day, Dizzy In Charge, Scoop's Sea Rescue, Scratch's Star Turn, Pineapple Scratch, Scrambler's Stage Surprise, Wendy's Birthday Surprise, Scratch Goes Solo, Dizzy and the Wheelies, Muck's Beach Tower, Here Comes Muck, Scrambler Gets Clean, Whizzy Dizzy, Travis' New Garage, Scratch and the Dream Room, Stage Struck Dizzy, Roley and the Fox, Super Scrambler and Bob's Big Bounce
Lofty has five detachable tools:
A crane hook
A wrecking ball
Lofty has mostly used his crane hook and grabber for the majority in the series.
He is timid at first, but always rises to the occasion and holds up his end of the job.
Lofty fears heights, mice, loud noises, and formerly Spud the Scarecrow.
Lofty is somewhat careless, but learns by his friends' wise words, by what adventures he has and how his previous attempt of a certain job was done.
His memory is apparently somewhat poor.
Lofty says "er" ("uh" in the US dub) every time he talks and usually uses it once or twice per sentence.
In the United States dub of Project: Build It, after Emma Tate took over from Sonya Leite, Lofty's voice got higher. He is the only machine character to have a major voice change.
Lofty was one of two machines with a bumper-like mouth rather than a grill mouth, the other being Skip.
Lofty's movement sound in the original series is that of a truck engine.
Lofty is male, but is voiced by female actresses in the US. He sounds female in "Project Build it" Due to his higher voice actor.
He is the only machine to have fallen onto their side.
While Lofty is a crane he did pour cement using a drum barrel in Roley's New Friend.
Lofty's CGI render in Ready, Steady, Build! was a bit smaller than his stop-motion counterpart (it could be possible Sabella-Dern wasn't given a reference of Lofty's model prior to working on the renders).
It is possible that Lofty maybe bipolar as seen in earlier seasons apart from his shyness, he was often seen frowning most times as if he were upset about something, this was seen more often in early seasons.
Lofty was the first vehicle that Spud had a ride on
From Scoop Saves The Day to Lofty's Shelter, Lofty slept outside.
In the Finnish version, Lofty is called "Nosse".